House hunting can be both scary and exciting at the same time so here are just a few tips to help you on your house hunting journey.......
1. Make a house hunting list
Creating a realistic wish list for your dream home will help you focus on your must-haves in your new home and identify areas where you're happy to compromise.This is particularly useful if searching for a property with someone else as it'll enable you to prioritise. For example, you would forego a garage as long as the garden was big enough to house a shed.
2. Do your research
According to research, we take less than 25 minutes to decide to buy a house.Considering this is one of the biggest financial commitments you'll make, people have been known to take longer to decide on what outfit or car to buy.
Understandably the high demand for houses makes you feel you need to make an offer - so as not to miss out on a deal. So prior to house hunting, do your research, so you can make a more informed decision on your next property. Think long term, to future-proof your property, for example if you're planning to have children, check out the latest school Ofsted report.
3. Be a detective!
It's easy to get wrapped up in the euphoria of finding your next property but try and keep a level head and see what's around you, to give you a feel for the area.....
- What new developments are taking place? For example are there skips outside properties indicating home improvements taking place?
- Visit the area at different times of the day - it may seem peaceful in the middle of the day but the late evenings may paint a different picture.
- If the vendor says that it's a 15 minute walk to the nearest train station, make the walk yourself.....you might find, it takes you nearer 40 minutes.....
4. Check your credit score before applying for a mortgage
Before applying for a mortgage, check your credit rating. It allows you to rectify any amends as even small errors on your credit report can lead to rejection. Eg the wrong address on active accounts.
5. Investigate what financial support is available
To help you get onto the property ladder, it's worth checking out what financial help is available in particular for first-time buyers.
6. Get inspiration!
Whilst on your search for your next property, download the houzz app, to give you interior design ideas. It allows you to browse through thousands of inspiring rooms and get advice from their forums.
*Barratt Homes 2015
Follow this link for more information about Wesleyan mortgages