Travel Insurance Guidance- COVID-19/Coronavirus
Cover under the travel insurance policy for claims relating to Coronavirus
Following the World Health Organisation's announcement on 11 March declaring Coronavirus to be a pandemic, it has now become a "known event" for many insurers. Therefore, Millstream Underwriting Limited has now classified Coronavirus as a "known event" from 13 March.
Consequently, for any part of your trip booked after the 13 March 2020, there will be no cover for any claims relating to Coronavirus including medical expenses, cancellation, curtailment and travel disruption.
For more information for customers who currently hold a travel insurance policy from Wesleyan Financial Services, read more here .
If you have any further questions around your travel insurance from Wesleyan Financial Services, please email GIeb@wesleyan.co.uk.
Protect yourself against the unexpected
It can be one of the most exciting aspects of your medical training, but travelling abroad to work in an overseas hospital isn’t without its risks. It’s vital to have the right cover to ensure you’re protected against the unexpected on your medical elective, and ordinary travel insurance won’t cut it.
At Wesleyan, we use our specialist knowledge of the medical profession to offer tailored cover for trainee medical professionals who are working abroad on placement. That means you can head off on your travels safe in the knowledge that we’ve got you covered for problems such as cancellations for exam re-sit cancellations, HIV needle-stick injuries or unforeseen medical expenses.
Special elective insurance features:
- Final exam re-sits
– Cover for loss of travel and accommodation expenses if you need to cancel or cut your elective trip short and return to the UK to re-sit your exams during your elective or up to 28 days after your elective end date. Cancellation or curtailment cover up to £1,500
- Needle-stick/sharp injury
– Cover up to £10,000
- Exposure to biological fluids
– Cover for additional travel accommodation costs to receive treatment (cover up to £5,000) or courier costs to transport post exposure prophylactic agents, devices or measures to you (cover up to £1,000).
Summary of other features for extra peace of mind:
||Up to 487 days (for those aged up to 65 years) |
|Cancellation and curtailment
||Up to £3,000 (Cancellation and curtailment for medical exam re-sits £1,500) |
|Emergency Medical Expenses
||Up to £10 million|
|Emergency dental treatment
||£25 / 24 hours (£300 max)|
|Delayed baggage (after 12 hours)
||up to £250|
|Loss of passport, driving licence & visa
||up to £250|
||£20 / 12 hours (up to £200 max)|
|Trip abandonment (after 24 hours)
||up to cancellation limit|
|Missed departure / missed connection
|Business travel / work abroad (non-manual work)
|Business travel / work abroad (manual work)
|Sports & Activities Level 1
|Sports & Activities Level 2 - 4
|Collision damage waiver excess
|Financial failure protection
|Portable Medical / Dental equipment
|Single item limit (Medical equipment)
This policy can also cover you for a number of sports and activities:
Many sports and activities are included as standard such as hiking up to 1,500 metres, gym training and indoor rock climbing.
Plus you can tailor your policy with optional extras listed below (additional charges will apply).
Level 2 - 4
Dependent on the level, it includes camel trekking, hiking (3,000 - 6,000 metres), winter sports such as skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, scuba diving to 50 metres and other certain sports and activities.
Please refer to the full list of sports and activities contained in the Policy Wording. This document can be found when you enter the online quote.
What's not covered
There are some areas which the travel policy cannot cover. Here are some of the things that are excluded:
- Travel to a destination which the Foreign & Commonwealth Office has advised against all or all but essential travel
- Pregnancy within 12 weeks before and 12 weeks after the estimated date of delivery
- Any trip that is undertaken for the purpose of obtaining medical treatment (whatever the nature of this treatment) or against the advice of a medically qualified doctor or after being given a terminal prognosis
Limits, exclusions and charges apply. Full terms and conditions of the policy and cover, including the policy benefits and exclusions, will be contained in the Policy Wording and Policy Summary. This link can be found when you enter the online quote. You should read these thoroughly before proceeding.