Are you looking to insure a property with subsidence history?
If your home is a property with subsidence, underpinning or a history of movement, it’s important to make sure that you have suitable insurance in case anything goes wrong.
Your home is one of your most valuable assets. As a broker, Wesleyan Financial Services search a panel of leading home insurance providers.
We specialise in non-standard insurance such as subsidence insurance, heave home insurance and home insurance for underpinned properties. We find you the best policy tailored to meet your insurance needs to protect your home.
Limits, exclusions and charges do apply. Full terms and conditions of the policy and cover, including the policy benefits and exclusions, will be contained in the Policy Wording and Policy Summary. Risk must be acceptable to underwriters at normal terms.
Subsidence is where the ground beneath a building sinks, pulling the property’s foundation down with it. Generally, subsidence occurs when the ground loses moisture and shrinks.
Typical causes for subsidence:
Subsidence can be caused by a variety of factors including:
- Soil type – Clay soils are vulnerable because they shrink, crack and shift during hot, dry weather.
- Trees and shrubs – Some vegetation can absorb a lot more water than others. This can be an issue where clay soils are present as the plants will dry the soil out.
- Local mining activity – Old mines and quarry sites that were filled can cause instability if the material collapses.
- Leaking drains and water mains can cause subsidence. They can wash away the soil, especially if the soil is sandy or gravely.
Other reasons why a property's foundation can move include:
- Heave – When the ground beneath a building moves upwards.
- Landslip/Landslide – When the ground beneath a building moves down a slope, taking the property with it.
Before you apply online for Home Insurance for properties that have been underpinned, we recommend that you read the following documents:
- General Terms of Business
- A list of companies and products we offer