Browse all articles
By The Next Step

What can I claim back from the tax man?

1 min
Man in glasses looking at Ipad

Can you reclaim tax?

In your foundation year, income tax and national insurance will be deducted automatically from your gross pay.

There are some professional expenses you will incur yourself that are not reimbursed by your employer. You can usually claim tax relief on these expenses, which reduces the amount of tax that is deducted from your gross pay.

For example, you may be able to claim tax relief, subject to certain limits*, on:

  • Professional fees (eg GMC registration/retention fees) **
  • Subscriptions to relevant journals

It’s important to remember that if your employer pays for or reimburses you for any of these expenses, you cannot claim tax relief on them.

How to claim

If your claim is less than £1,000, you can send a letter to HMRC with a summary of the details and the total for the tax year (which runs from 6th April to 5th April). Remember to give them your name, contact details and National Insurance number, as well as your employer’s PAYE reference number.

If your claim is for over £1,000 but less than £2,500, you will need to complete a P87 expenses form.

Once HMRC has agreed the claim, they will change your tax code to reflect the amount of tax relief. This change will be communicated to your employer. A tax code with a higher number means you will pay less tax.

Get guidance on claiming tax relief on job expenses.

Find out which professional organisations are approved by the HMRC