Skip to content
Go back

Article Tags:

Please choose from the following:

Teachers' Retirement - Securing a Grade A Retirement

Teachers' Retirement - Securing a Grade A Retirement

Retirement should be a time that is looked forward to, giving teachers the chance to relax after a career in the classroom.

But many are now finding they could be facing a pension deficit after reports last year that some of them may not have amassed the requisite number of years of National Insurance payments to qualify for a full pension.

It is a complex issue, so to try to help avoid confusion, here we look at what you need to consider to ensure you're not left short in retirement.

Contracting out

Until April 2016 the Teachers Pension Scheme (TPS) and Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) automatically contracted members out of the Additional State Pension - allowing both employer and employee to pay lower national insurance contributions (NICs). The State Pension and Additional State Pension have now been replaced by the new flat rate State Pension.

Only those with 35 years of qualifying NICs will be entitled to the full flat rate pension (currently £155.65 per week). You will need to make sure you know whether you qualify so that you can make accurate calculations about your retirement income. If you have been 'contracted out', this will also be taken into account when the rate is calculated.

Someone who was contracted out will still have received qualifying years of NICs for each of the years they were earning. However, as they have paid a reduced rate of NICs, this will be taken into account when working out their new single tier pension starting amount.

This is why there can be some confusion. It can look as if you are not receiving the 'full' state pension, but in practice the 'missing' amount is made up in the benefits from your contracted out pension.

This is known as COPE (Contracted Out Pension Equivalent), and when added to your reduced starting amount of state pension, it is broadly equivalent to the full starting amount.

It is important to ensure you have amassed enough qualifying years. If you are unsure, you can check your National Insurance record at to see if there are any gaps. You may then be able to apply for credits to fill these gaps.

Topping up

If it looks like won't have the required 35 qualifying years by the time you retire, don't worry, there are still steps you can take.

It's possible for you to make voluntary NI contributions to fill gaps in your National Insurance record. An additional year's NI contribution can be bought for roughly £733, which could increase an annual pension income by more than £230 a year. Over the course of 20 years, this could be worth as much as £4,600.

Buying five year's contributions for a little less than £4,000 could potentially benefit a retiree with an additional £23,000 of pension income over 20 years. However, additional contributions can't be made if you have achieved 35 years' service or if you are on track to reach this number of years.

While the initial cost may put some people off, in the long term it can help you achieve your retirement goal, and is still good value when compared to buying a private pension to help you close the gap.

Planning ahead

On average, teachers think they need an income of £25,056* a year to live comfortably, but government figures show the average income of all pensioners is only £15,444** a year. But addressing your pension shortfall early can help to close this gap.

As we continue to live longer, it's important that the money we have lasts us. Many people are now living for 30 years or more after retiring, therefore it's vital that your money and assets can last as long as you do.

While monthly expenditures tend to decrease during retirement - mortgages are usually paid off and children have normally left home - it's important to factor in that private care may be needed further down the line.

As older generations live longer, many retired people are also finding they need to contribute towards the care costs of their parents.

If you're unsure, get advice

State pensions can be confusing, and any changes to the system only adds to their complexity.

Speaking to a financial adviser whose expertise lies within the teaching profession will ensure that you can make the right choices when it comes to retirement, maximising your assets and making sure that you can live comfortably.

* Research based on a survey of 101 teachers, by Censuswide on behalf of Wesleyan, January 2017.

** Figure from Department of Work & Pensions Pensioners' Incomes Series, June 2016.

Wesleyan provides specialist financial advice to teachers, doctors, dentists and lawyers.

For more information about financial advice, speak to a Wesleyan financial consultant go to or call 0800 092 1990.

Find Your Financial Consultant

Financial Consultant Form

More information about FCs

'WESLEYAN’ is a trading name of the Wesleyan Group of companies.

Wesleyan Assurance Society and Wesleyan Bank Ltd are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Wesleyan Financial Services Ltd, Wesleyan Unit Trust Managers Ltd, Practice Plan Ltd and DPAS Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.  Advice about investments, insurance and mortgages is provided by Wesleyan Financial Services Ltd.

Click for more information about the Wesleyan group of companies.

© 2021 Wesleyan Assurance Society