Get a quote
Ready to protect your project?
Get a quote or give us a call
Get a quote or call 0808 256 3788
0808 256 3788
Get a quote

Why get renovation insurance?

Making home improvements can be a great way to build on your property’s value, but you could be at risk of losing money if something goes wrong during building works. From our panel of leading providers, Wesleyan Financial Services can find you insurance that covers you for damage, loss or theft to your home and contents.

  • Cover for occupied and unoccupied properties even if the renovation has already started
  • Available for buildings and contents
  • Property owner’s liability cover
  • Temporary or annual cover
  • Advice-based service tailored to your needs
  • Request a quote and we'll aim to call you within 10 minutes*

* Opening times are Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.

How it works

Save time searching the market with cover for your home and building works from our panel of leading insurance providers. Whether you’re looking for temporary cover for a one-off project or need annual cover for ongoing building works, we’ll tailor your policy to suit your needs.

And when you’re ready to settle into your home again, we can get you a quote for standard home insurance, so you can enjoy your new and improved home with full peace of mind.

Specialist insurance

At Wesleyan Financial Services, we act as a broker to find you insurance that protects your rights, as well as your home.

Protection when you need it

Whether you’re scheduling an extension or making improvements, it’s important to protect your home in case things go wrong.

You may already have standard home insurance, but this often won’t cover building works, the materials used on site or potential liability exposures.

Insurance that's built for you

Beyond insuring your building works, you’ll need to think about protecting your subrogation rights.

Occasionally, clauses in a builder’s contract may require your insurance to be in joint names with the builders or contractors. This puts you at risk of not being able to take legal action against them if their actions lead you to making a claim on your insurance.

Internal renovations

Unlike most standard home insurance policies, renovation insurance can cover all your existing fixtures and fittings as well as any new ones that get delivered to you.

If you only had a standard home insurance policy, you'd need to make sure that the contractors covered any new items to be fitted in your home.

Structural renovations

Structural damage can be costly and time consuming to repair. That's why it pays to be protected.

We work with insurers to make sure all structural work is protected during renovations, for both your existing property and any new builds.

Major renovations

If you’re piling, doing basement excavations or demolition work, it’s likely that you’ll need to move out of your home for a short while. An unoccupied building might not get cover from standard buildings insurers, which is why we offer cover for major renovations.

Already a Wesleyan member? Save 20% on your insurance

You can save money on your next home project as a Wesleyan member. Enjoy 20% off when you take out a renovation insurance policy.

See eligibility criteria and terms and conditions.

Frequently asked questions

  • How much does renovation insurance cost?

    As a broker, we search the market to find you the right deal for your needs. How much you can expect to pay will depend on a few factors, such as:

    • The scope of the project, including the length of time it will take to complete
    • The price of materials and labour
    • The location and value of your home

    When you come to us to get a quote, we'll provide you with a range of options that match your ideal level of cover.

  • What should I do if I'm an existing home insurance customer and I'm planning building works? 

    You can have both home insurance and renovation insurance, as the latter covers you for building works and projects that standard home insurance doesn’t.

    If you already have a home insurance policy with us, you can let us know when you get a quote. Additionally, if you’re a member of Wesleyan you could get 20% off your renovation insurance policy.

  • What's the difference between a cosmetic change and a renovation project?

    Cosmetic changes are typically anything that doesn’t affect the structure of your property. For example, redecorating. For these changes, it’s unlikely that you’ll need renovation insurance.

    A renovation project can be as small as upgrading your internal plumbing or as large as adding an extension to your home. If you aren’t sure whether your project would be classed as a renovation, you can ask your current home insurance provider. They’ll be able to tell you if your plans are covered or if you need to take out renovation insurance.

    Alternatively, you can apply for a quote with us today and one of the team will be in touch to discuss your needs.

  • I want to insure a non-standard property. Can I get renovation insurance?

    Yes, you can still get renovation insurance, you’ll just have less options as you’ll only be able to get a policy from a specialist insurance provider.

    What’s classed as a non-standard home can vary, but typically it includes properties of unusual construction, cob houses, timber houses and more.

    As your home will likely have additional requirements, you’ll need a policy that’s tailored to your property. We can help you find one.

  • My renovation project has already started. Can I still get cover?

    Yes, although there may be some limitations to your cover. You’ll be able to discuss this with our insurance team when you get a quote.

  • Can I extend my renovation insurance policy?

    Yes, you can extend your cover if your project is lasting longer than expected or you decide to carry out additional works. In this instance, a pro rata additional premium is applied.

How to insure a home under renovation

Planning a home renovation? This guide tells you everything you need to know about getting cover for building works and home improvements.

Learn more about:

  • The type of insurance you need when renovating a house
  • What you need to tell your home insurance provider
  • How much renovation insurance might cost

You may be interested in...

Landlord insurance

Do you own one or more rental homes? Protect your property portfolio with landlord insurance from a panel of leading providers.

High-value home insurance

When standard home insurance isn’t enough for your property, get bespoke cover for your specialist home or high-value home worth more than £500,000.

Unoccupied home insurance

Protect your unoccupied home with comprehensive cover from a panel of leading insurers. For natural disasters, vandalism, theft and more.

Important information

Limits, exclusions and charges do apply. Full terms and conditions of the policy and cover, including the policy benefits and exclusions, will be contained in the Policy Wording and Policy Summary. Risk must be acceptable to underwriters at normal terms.

Wesleyan Financial Services is a broker and its insurance products are provided by a number of insurers.

Key documents