Get a quote
Ready to protect your property?
Get a quote or give us a call
Get a quote or call 0808 163 7393
0808 163 7393
Get a quote

Why get landlord insurance through Wesleyan Financial Services?

Protect your property portfolio with landlord insurance from our handpicked panel of leading providers. Whether you’re renting out a single apartment or multiple properties, we can find you a policy without you having to go round the houses.

  • Cover for buildings, contents or both
  • Property owners’ liability up to £5,000,000
  • Available for all types of properties and tenants
  • Landlord legal protection (at an additional cost)
  • Tailor your policy with our personalised advice-based service
  • We'll aim to call you with a quote within 10 minutes*

* Opening times are Monday to Friday 9am - 6pm and Saturday 9am - 1pm.

Your policy

We know that no two properties are the same, which is why as a broker, we’ll find you a policy that’s built for your needs.

What's covered?

Through our advice-based service and panel of insurance providers, we offer policies that can include:

  • Multiple properties
  • Include multiple rental homes in one policy to protect your portfolio. Add extra properties as and when you need to, with cover tailored to each of your rental homes.

  • Malicious damage to buildings by tenants
  • You'll be covered for intentional damage to your property by your tenants, such as smashed windows.

  • Alternative accommodation or cover for loss of rent
  • You're protected if your property isn't fit to live in following an insured event (like a fire or a flood). Get alternative accommodation for your tenants or cover for the rent you've lost if your tenants temporarily move out.

  • Repairs or rebuilding of your property
  • If a fire, flood or other insured event leaves your property worse for wear, you're covered for repairs and rebuilding to restore your rental home.

  • Accidental damage to underground services
  • This covers services that you're legally responsible for. For example, domestic oil pipes, water supply pipes, underground sewers, drains and septic tanks.

  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Protect your property with cover for broken windows, doors and more.

  • Trace and access cover
  • Covers the cost of locating the source of a leak and making the necessary repairs.

  • Subsidence, heave or landslip
  • This covers the cost of work needed on the site of your property.

  • Public liability up to £5,000,000
  • Covers costs and damages for bodily injury or damage to your property caused by an accident on your property.

Cover available may vary depending on insurance provider

What's not covered?

While landlord insurance can offer comprehensive cover, it can’t cover every eventuality. For example:

  • Wear and tear
  • Includes worn carpets or damp formed over a period of time

  • Accidental damage or loss to contents
  • For items that belong to your tenants

  • Theft or attempted theft
  • For money, certificates, documents or valuables

Optional extras

Tailor your policy to provide extra peace of mind, with one of our optional extras. For an additional cost, you can add: 

  • Landlord legal protection - Covers costs for legal disputes such as eviction
  • Accidental damage or loss - For all your buildings and contents or just for fixtures and fittings (sanitary ware, carpets and free-standing furniture)

Already a Wesleyan member? Save 20% on your insurance

Insure your properties for less. As an eligible Wesleyan member, you can receive a 20% discount on landlord insurance.

See eligibility criteria and terms and conditions.

Frequently asked questions

  • Is it compulsory to have landlord insurance?
    By law, you don’t need to have landlord insurance. However, your mortgage provider may make it a condition of securing a mortgage, particularly if it’s a buy-to-let or landlord mortgage.
  • Is home insurance the same as landlord insurance?

    While there are similarities between the two, home insurance doesn’t offer the same level of cover as landlord insurance.

    Landlord insurance is designed to protect your rental properties. For example, it usually includes loss of rent and alternative accommodation cover. You can also opt for specialist landlord legal protection that covers you for legal expenses or disputes, such as eviction or malicious damage by your tenants.

  • Is landlord insurance tax deductible?

    In short, yes - landlord insurance is tax deductible.

    Landlords can claim certain costs relating to the running and maintaining of their rental property as a business expense. This means you can deduct the cost of insuring your buy-to-let property from your rental income when calculating how much income tax you owe, and therefore reducing your tax bill.

  • Do I need landlord insurance if I’m renting out to family?
    Landlord insurance is often necessary whether you’re renting out to family, friends or a private tenant. When you’re considering renting, you’ll need approval from your mortgage lender, a tenancy agreement and insurance that covers you for renting.
  • Do I need landlord insurance if renting out a room?
    Yes, if you’re renting out a room in your house and you’re still living there, you’ll usually need landlord insurance. Your standard home insurance policy probably won’t be enough to cover you, your home, and your tenant.
  • Do I need landlord insurance for a leasehold flat?

    In short, yes. If you’ve bought a flat in a house or building and you’re planning on renting it out, you’ll need landlord insurance.

    The freeholder (the person who owns the building) is responsible for having buildings insurance. If you’re renting out your flat, you’ll likely want to have contents cover and landlord liability cover too.

  • Why use a broker?

    At Wesleyan Financial Services, we want to take the hard work out of finding the right policy for you and your rental property. Using our broker service means you don’t have to source multiple quotes from lots of providers, and you can be sure that you have the right level of protection for your needs.

You may be interested in...

High-value home insurance

When standard home insurance isn’t enough for your property, get bespoke cover for your specialist home or high-value home worth more than £500,000.

Renovation insurance

Looking to protect your property at every stage? Get insurance for home extension and building works from a handpicked panel of leading insurers.

Unoccupied home insurance

Protect your unoccupied home with comprehensive cover from a panel of leading insurers. For natural disasters, vandalism, theft and more.

Important information

Wesleyan Financial Services is a credit broker.

Limits, exclusions and charges do apply. Full terms and conditions of the policy and cover, including the policy benefits and exclusions, will be contained in the Policy Wording and Policy Summary. Risk must be acceptable to underwriters at normal terms.

Key documents