Get a quote
Ready to protect your home?
Request a quote or give us a call
Request a quote or give us a call on 0808 271 2128
0808 271 2128
Get a quote

Do I need unoccupied home insurance?

An empty home is often at risk of theft and vandalism, not to mention the potential lasting damage from accidents that go unnoticed. With unoccupied home insurance from Wesleyan Financial Services, you can protect your property (and your pockets) with cover that’s built for your needs.

  • Short-term, long-term and permanent cover
  • Protection against storms, floods, fires, oil and water leaks
  • Includes theft, vandalism and public liability insurance
  • Choose from a panel of leading insurance providers
  • Get advice on the right policy for your property
  • We'll aim to call you with a quote in 10 minutes*

* Opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

How it works

While many standard home insurance policies won’t cover a vacant property, unoccupied home insurance is designed for just that. Whether you’re in the process of renovating, are in-between tenants or are looking to sell, our insurance providers offer policies for all types of scenarios and properties.

As a broker, we can advise you on a level of protection that’s right for you. Once we have a clear idea of your needs, we’ll find you a bespoke policy from our panel of leading insurers.

What's covered?

Depending on the level of protection you choose, your policy can cover:

  • Natural disasters
  • For damage to your home that’s caused by a fire, flood or storm.

  • Burst pipes and leaks
  • For damage caused by a leakage of water or oil somewhere in the house.

  • Theft
  • If someone successfully or unsuccessfully breaks into your home and steals your belongings.

  • Vandalism
  • Protects you from any criminal damage to your home.

  • Public liability insurance
  • Covers you for any damage that you’re responsible for. For example, if a roof tile on your property falls and breaks a car window.

What's not covered?

Insurance can’t cover you for everything. Your claim may be rejected for:

  • Unforced entry
  • If you leave your doors and windows unlocked or open, you’re providing thieves and squatters with easy access to your home. Insurance can only cover you for forced entry.


  • Contractors
  • If you’ve hired contractors to work on your home while it’s unoccupied, you might not be covered for any damage they cause. Generally, contractors should have their own insurance that will cover the damage.

Already a Wesleyan member? Save 20% on your insurance

Enjoy all-round protection at a lower cost. Get 20% off when you take out unoccupied home insurance as a member of Wesleyan.

See eligibility criteria and terms and conditions.

Frequently asked questions

  • How much does unoccupied home insurance cost?

    As a broker, we search the market to find the right cover for your needs. How much you can expect to pay will depend on a few factors, such as:

    • The length of time your house is unoccupied
    • The location of the property
    • The value and condition of the property
    • The level of cover you choose

    When you come to us to get a quote, we'll provide you with a range of options that match your needs.

  • What does 'unoccupied' mean for home insurance?

    Unoccupied simply means the property is vacant as nobody is currently residing in it.

    Most standard home insurance policies will cover your home if it’s unoccupied for up to 30 days. You can check your policy for full details on how this works.

    If you know your property will be vacant for longer than this, then you should consider taking out unoccupied home insurance. This means you’ll be protected against theft, vandalism, natural disasters and more while your property is empty.

  • When might a property become unoccupied?

    Your home might become unoccupied if you decide to travel for an extended period of time, you’re in the process of making home improvements or you’re selling your property.

    If you have a rental home, you may be in-between tenants or have chosen to take a break from letting. Alternatively, you may have recently inherited a property and are looking for insurance while it remains vacant.

    Unoccupied home insurance is suitable for all these scenarios and more.

  • Do I need to tell my home insurance provider if my property becomes vacant or unoccupied?

    It’s recommended that you inform you current home insurance provider of any changes to the residency of the insured property. They’ll be able to tell you the length of unoccupancy your insurance covers, so you’ll know if and when an unoccupied home insurance policy is needed.

  • Can I get cover for a property that's in probate?

    Yes you can, just let us know that your property is in probate when you apply for a quote.

Insuring an unoccupied home

Whether your home is empty because you’re travelling, or you’ve recently inherited a house, our unoccupied home guide explains everything you need to know to insure a vacant home. Including:

  • What unoccupied home insurance is
  • How it differs from standard home insurance
  • What this type of insurance can cover

You may be interested in...

Renovation insurance

Looking to protect your property at every stage? Get insurance for home extension and building works from a handpicked panel of leading insurers.

Landlord insurance

Do you own one or more rental homes? Protect your property portfolio with landlord insurance from a panel of leading providers.

Non-standard home insurance

Protect your non-standard home with insurance that covers your buildings, contents and more. And with our 24/7 claims helpline, we’re only ever a phone call away.

Important information

Limits, exclusions and charges do apply. Full terms and conditions of the policy and cover, including the policy benefits and exclusions, will be contained in the Policy Wording and Policy Summary. Risk must be acceptable to underwriters at normal terms.

Wesleyan Financial Services is a broker and its insurance products are provided by a number of insurers.

Key documents