Changing bank details for income you receive

If you receive income from your investment or pension plan, and you want to change the account into which this income is paid, here’s how to do it.

  • Log in to My Wesleyan and complete the online form.
  • Call us on 0800 0582 965
  • Write to us at:
    Customer Relationship Centre
    Wesleyan Assurance Society
    Colmore Circus
    B4 6AR

Please note you may be asked to provide evidence of your account details.