Browse all articles
By Wesleyan

ABI guidance following UK floods

3 min
Professional woman sitting at desk in home office wearing glasses and using her phone

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has released guidance for anyone affected by the floods caused by Storm Babet.

If you have an insurance policy taken out through Wesleyan and need to make a claim, you'll find the details you need here.

If you are affected by the flooding...

  • Contact your insurer as soon as possible to get advice on what to do and arrange repairs as quickly as possible. 
  • If necessary, arrange temporary emergency repairs to stop any damage getting worse, but speak to your insurer first.
  • If you have to arrange emergency repairs yourself, tell your insurer and keep any receipts, as this will form part of your claim. 
  • Do not be in a rush to throw away damaged items, unless they are a danger to health. These may be able to be repaired or restored. Your insurer will advise.

If your home is uninhabitable while repairs are being carried out, your insurer will arrange for, and pay the cost of, any alternative temporary accommodation you may need. 

Commercial polices will cover damage to premises and stock. Business interruption cover (which may be included or purchased separately) will cover additional trading costs, such as hiring temporary alternative trading premises if necessary. 
Comprehensive motor insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing vehicles damaged by flooding. But do follow any travelling advice, and if necessary, only travel if you really need to.

If you need to make a claim, you'll find contact details here. For home and motor policies taken out through Wesleyan, the claims helpline is open 24 hours.